Nominee 2017


History of the National Gallery
Home > About National Gallery > History of the National Gallery

National Art Gallery 

The National Museum of Bulgarian Art is the largest and most respectable institution of its kind in Bulgaria. Over the years, it has established its position as a center for national cultural heritage and values. The collection was started in 1892 when the Peopleís Museum of Archeology founded its Department of Art. By virtue of an express resolution of the Council of Ministers in 1948 NMBA (National Art Gallery) was pronounced an independent entity.

 



The museumís collection of New and Contemporary Bulgarian art from the period since Bulgariaís Liberation in 1878 up to the 1990s consists of more than 30 000 individual pieces of paintings, prints and sculptures. The collection of paintings by Bulgarian masters is the most comprehensive. The collection of black and white drawings is also very rich. The museumís expositions feature some of the best achievements of Bulgarian sculptors of the 20th century.




Expositions are regularly organized in the halls of the museum. There are about ten of them held here each year. They are usually dedicated to prominent Bulgarian artist or major issues in the New and Contemporary Bulgarian Art. Mixed expositions by various artists organized on regular basis illustrate the diversity of the artistic process from the first days of independence till the present.